I am so excited to introduce a brand new section to our site which will feature great recipes from the chefs at some of our favorite restaurants. This week we met with Chef Ellis from Jimmy’s Famous Tavern to learn how to make his delicious Wine Country Fall Salad recipe. With seasonal apples, dried cranberries, pecans, and blue cheese crumble this is the perfect fall salad to say farewell to the summer.
If you’ve been following Cuisine & Travel, then you likely already know how much we love Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern. Their food brings a traditional twist to southern favorites like fried chicken and tasty BBQ selections. In addition to JFAT, Chef Ellis has a long list of wonderful cuisine under his belt. He has worked with celebrated chef Thomas Keller at Bouchon and worked on large-scale productions such as the Grammy’s with Wolfgang Puck. In a short time, Chef Ellis has worked his way up to Executive Chef collaborating with David Wilhelm to help create and develop a menu that guests can enjoy time and time again.
Delicious Ingredients for Fall Salad Recipe’s
- Squashes like Pumpkin and Butternut Squash
- Dried Cranberries
- Blue Cheese and Sharp Cheddar
- Seasonal Fruits like Apples, Persimmons, Pears and Pomegranate Seeds
This Wine Country Fall Salad is a farewell to summer, as the heat starts to leave us and things cool down. The crisp Fuji apple has a nice sweet finish without being overly dry at the end to help compliment the tart and creaminess of the blue cheese. With the dried cranberries and pecans to help balance the nutty and sweet. All this to only complement the chicken breast that is brined with fresh herbs and garlic.
Finally, to round off the palate, the cornbread croutons offer a mellow heat that warrants bite after bite. Let’s also not forget the bits of freshly cooked bacon sprinkled on to surprise that savory side. Plus what is a salad without a bit of bacon? As the weather changes each bite changes adding colors of Autumn into the lush mixed greens.
We know you”ll enjoy this perfect fall salad recipe as much as we have! Jimmy’s Famous Tavern has several locations including Santa Monica, La Brea, and Dana Point California.
Wine Country Fall Salad Recipe from Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern
- 2.5 oz Sherry Vinaigrette
- 5 oz Mixed Greens
- 8 oz Chicken Breast Grilled, Cut into 1” pieces
- 4 slices Red Onion 1/8” slices
- 1 oz Dried Cranberries
- 1 tbsp Bacon chopped
- ¼ cup Candied Pecans
- 2 oz Blue Cheese Coarsely crumbled
- 1 cup Fuji Apple cored, sliced and held in lemon water
- 1/2 cup Cornbread Croutons warm
- In a medium mixing bowl place sherry vinaigrette then add greens, cut apple into six wedges, and half of the cranberries, blue cheese, bacon, and pecans.
- Toss salad to coat well then stack in large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, nuts and cranberries. Arrange croutons around perimeter of salad.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, nuts and cranberries. Arrange croutons around perimeter of salad.