Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe is bursting with flavor and cooks incredibly quickly using the Instant Pot. If you still have not jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon there is no better time. I personally use the Instant Pot Duo and it has changed the way I cook. For example, this lentil dish cooks in only 20 minutes.
I am half Moroccan and so I have always loved ethnic foods that are bursting with flavor. There are so many Lentil Soup Recipe variations and this version uses many traditional middle eastern spices. The result is a lentil soup that is bursting with flavor and is incredibly healthy.
An entire bowl of this lentil soup is only 203 calories, provides 12g of protein and a whopping 14g of fiber. It doesn’t get healthier than this. Lentil soup is also vegan and gluten free!
What Vegetables Work Best in this Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe?
In this recipe, I’ve added carrots, kale, red pepper, and fingerling potatoes, but there are a variety of vegetables that would work great with this recipe. Feel free to use what you have on hand, what you are able to find in the grocery stores or your personal favorites. Below are some suggestions that work really well with this recipe.
- English Peas
- Sweet Potato
What type of Lentils Should I Use in a Lentil Soup Recipe?
In this recipe, I used a lentil blend made mostly with green lentils, but you can also use all green or red lentils. Either will work great with this recipe. Using semi-cooked lentils is also an incredibly convenient option and they cook even faster. You can also use traditional green lentils.
What Ingredients and Spices Will I Need?
Ingredients include vegetable broth, can diced tomatoes, lentils, fingerling potatoes, carrots, red pepper, tuscan kale, sweet onions, garlic, and tomato paste. For spices, we use turmeric, coriander, paprika, cumin, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
How to Make Vegan Moroccan Lentil Soup
To make this Moroccan Lentil Soup in your Instant Pot you’ll first want to turn on your pot to saute on high. Once heated, drizzle your olive oil and add onions and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes and then add your chopped kale.
Next mix your tomato paste with a small amount of your chicken broth, then add it to the pot with the remainder of your chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Add all of your veggies and spices. Turn off the saute feature and set your Instant Pot to pressure cook for 20 minutes. If you are using partially cooked lentils, you only need to cook for 11 minutes). Once finished, quick release your steam, and add lemon juice.
Vegan Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe for the Instant Pot
- 1 cup green lentils you can use any type of lentil, mixed lentils, and even partially cooked lentils
- 1 cup fingerling potatoes sliced
- 1 cup tuscan kale chopped
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1/4 cup red peppers diced
- .5 cup sweet onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 32 oz vegetable broth 1 container
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 whole Bay leaves
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt pink himalayan
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs lemon juice fresh squeezed
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute on high. Once heated drizzle your olive oil and add onions and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes and then add your chopped kale.
- Next mix your tomato paste with a small amount of your chicken broth, then add to the pot with the remainder of your chicken broth and diced tomatoes.
- Add all of your veggies and spices. Turn off the saute feature and set your Instant Pot to pressure cook for 20 minutes. If you are using partially cooked lentils, you only need to cook for 11 minutes)
- Once finished, quick release your steam, and add lemon juice.
What Vegetables Work Best in this Vegan Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe?Feel free to add your favorite vegetables to this recipe. This is a great soup to make your own. Here are some suggestions.
- English Peas
- Sweet Potatoes
That’s all there is to it. This recipe is incredibly delicious and so good for you. If you enjoy this recipe you should also take a look at my Moroccan Lemon Chicken which is one of my absolute favorite recipes.
View Our Latest Recipes & Articles
- The Crispiest Vegan Air Fryer Onion Rings (Better Than Using Eggs!)
- Easy Keto & Gluten Free Bagel Recipe (No Yeast)
- All the Best Bites From the New Taste of Boysenberry Festival!
- Delicious Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Blueberries (No Sugar Added!)
- Healthy Chicken Wild Rice Soup Instant Pot or Stovetop
Find Delicious Recipes By Category
Get Your Free Weight Loss Guide
Receive your free guide on my best tips for losing weight without dieting including a summary of what I eat in a day!