I don’t often brag about my cooking, but I have to say that this is the best Scalloped Potato Recipe you will ever find. I’ve tried the Scalloped Potatoes at 5-star restaurants such as Matro’s and they still are not as good as what I can make at home. While I am usually highly critical of my own cooking, this is one dish I can confidently say I’ve nailed. So far I have not had anything that can come close to my recipe.
Updated December 2023: I’ve updated this recipe to add new step-by-step photos.
Use a Vegetable Slicer
I think the first trick of my scalloped potatoes recipe is using a vegetable slicer so that each potato is thin and the exact same thickness. These slicers are so cheap and convenient that everyone should have one stashed away. They also save so much prep time. Many even have a grid feature for quick and easy chopping and dicing.
You don’t want to make your potato slices too thick or you run the risk of them not cooking all the way. Above is a photo of how thick I cut my potatoes.
Once you have perfectly sliced potatoes, the next step is making an amazing parmesan cheese sauce. For my sauce, I saute onions and garlic in butter. Then I create a roux with flour which acts as a thickener for the sauce. This recipe uses a combination of chicken broth and 2% milk instead of heavy cream. Not only does this cut calories, but it affects the flavor as well so the dish does not feel as heavy.
Parmesan Cheese Sauce
Once you’ve created your roux, you’ll slowly add the milk and chicken broth, constantly whisking so the roux blends in well with the liquid. Then you’ll add salt, pepper, thyme, and whisk in your parmesan cheese.
Layering the Scalloped Potatoes
You’ll then butter a baking dish, add one layer of your sliced potatoes, ladle 1/3 of the sauce mixture over the potatoes, and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I do this 3 times. The benefit of using a smaller square pyrex baking dish is you can use less cheese. If you choose a longer baking dish, you may need to sprinkle a little extra cheese at the top (only do this to the top layer) to get it fully covered.
Best Cheeses for Scalloped Potatoes
You can also experiment with using different cheeses for your scalloped potatoes recipe. You will want to use cheeses that are more sharp and pungent. For your sauce, you want to choose cheeses that will melt nicely such as those listed below.
- sharp white cheddar (for topping)
Finally, you’ll cover the scalloped potatoes with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. To get the nice browned cheese and crispy edges, I like to broil my scalloped potatoes at the very end for an additional 2-4 minutes.
The Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lbs Gold Potatoes Sliced Thin
- 1 tbs salted butter
- ½ cup onions chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 cup 2% milk
- .5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup parmesan cheese Asiago
- 2 tbs flour
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1.5 tsp salt
- .5 tsp pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly butter a square pyrex oven pan.
Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Heat up medium sized pot on medium to high heat. Once the pot is warm, melt in 1 tbs of butter. Then add garlic and onions. Saute for about 2 minutes and then add your flour, stirring constantly until well blended for about 1-2 more minutes making a roux.Next begin whisking and slowly incorperate your milk and chicken stock. Do not let your sauce come to a boil, reduce to low medium heat.Continue whisking and add in the parmesan cheese. Finally add your salt & pepper. Using your fingers, take the thyme off of the stems and add them to your sauce as well.
- Next layer your scalloped potatoes by adding one layer of your thinly sliced poatoes on a lightly butter pan. Then ladle 1/3 of your sauce mixture and lightly sprinkle with the sharp cheddar cheese. Repeart this step 3 times.Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes.Turn your oven to broil and let your cheese get nice and browned, about another 2-4 minutes.
What types of cheese work best for scalloped potatoes?For scalloped potatoes you want to use sharp pungent cheeses and cheese that melt well. Here are a few alternatives.
- Sharp White Cheddar
This recipe is perfect for any family dinner and is especially popular during the holidays to serve with Ham, Turkey, Lamb, and Prime Rib! if you need to make a large serving, simply scroll up to the recipe card, input the number of servings you need, and the recipe with automatically reformulate for you!