This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Recent a family friend posted an Italian Peasant Soup that inspired me to create this Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup inspired by the Polish Borscht Easter Soup we used to have every year when I was growing up. My grandma used to make this soup and her key ingredient was simply Kielbasa and water.
I’ve always loved cabbage and decided to do a new take on White Borscht by making a kielbasa and cabbage soup with cannellini beans. You won’t believe how incredibly easy this soup is to make and best of all, there are only 5 ingredients. You can make this Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup in the Instant Pot or stovetop.
What is White Borscht Soup?
White Borscht Soup ( or Bialy Barszcz in Polish) is a traditional polish soup my grandma used to make every Easter Sunday. One of my fondest memories of my grandparents was all the unique foods they introduced me to at such a young age. I never realized growing up how much it would influence who I’ve become.
It used to be that on Easter Sunday families would bring baskets of food to the church to be blessed. This is where the American tradition of the Easter Basket derived from. These ingredients were then used to create the Polish White Borscht Soup.
Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup is a creative take on a traditional Easter Soup
I think during easter most of us think of cabbage. It’s one of those vegetables I seem to never eat unless it’s around the holidays even though I enjoy it so much. We eat soups regularly so after seeing our friend Terry’s soup on Facebook, I was inspired and decided to give it a try. Of course, it was fantastic, and even better the next day and the day after that.
Tips for Making Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while you’re making this soup.
- First, you may be tempted to add all vegetable or chicken broth, but trust me. This soup has so much flavor. White Borscht traditionally is only made with water.
- I used the Instant Pot because our kitchen is under renovation and I love my Instant Pot. You can also reduce the heat and simmer this soup for 5-10 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook your cabbage or it will become mushy. This is why Instant Pot Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup only need to pressure cook on high for 1 minute. If cooking on the stove, continue to check the cabbage so it does not become overcooked.
How to make Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup (Easter Soup)
To make this Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup in the Instant pot you will first turn your Instant Pot to saute mode on normal and let it pre-heat. Once preheated, add a spray of olive oil and add your onions. Let them cook 1-2 minutes until translucent and add your Kielbasa. Saute for another 3-4 minutes and then add your cabage. Coat the cabbage with the fat from your kielbasa which will add a nice flavor.
Then add your vegetable broth, water, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Turn off saute and add the lid onto your Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook on high for 1 minute and quick release. Cabbage cook fory quickly so it only needs one minute.
Finally add your Cannellini beans and serve. It’s that simple. To cook this on the stove top, you will simply simmer your cabbage until its cooked down which will take about 5-10 minutes. Be sure to keep it on very low heat so your cabbage is not overcooked.
Storing, Leftovers, and Meal Planning
As with most of our recipes, this Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup freezes great for leftovers. You can really make this soup any time of the year as a wonderful additional to your weekly meal planning. Just put your soup in a freezer safe container or even a freezer safe air tight ziplock and it will store for 3 months in the freezer.
Other Easy & Healthy Soup Recipes
- Easy 10 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Pasta e Fagioli (Olive Garden Copycat Recipe)
- Simple Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup (without using heavy cream)
Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup Inspired by Polish Borscht Easter Soup
- 1/4 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onions chopped
- 12 ounces Kielbasa sliced
- 4.5 cups cabbage cored & chopped
- 2 1/4 cup cannellini beans one can
- 1 cup vegetable stock unsalted
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- First turn your Instant Pot to Saute on normal heat and wait for it to preheat
- Once preheated, spray your olive oil and add your chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add your Kielbasa and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add your cabbage and stir completely so the fat and flavor from the Kielbasa has coated the cabbage.
- Then add your vegetable stock, water, a squeeze of lemon, salt, and pepper.
- Turn off the saute feature, put on your Instant Pot lid, and make sure your vent is closed. Set to pressure cook on high for 1 minute.
- Once finished, quick release. Then add your can of Cannellini Beans with juice, stir and serve.
Stove Top Instructions
- Pre-heat your pot on medium heat. When hot, spray your olive oil, and add your chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add your kielbasa and saute another 1-2 minutes. Next add your cabbage and stir to coat your cabbage.
- Then add the vegetable stock, water, lemon salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Check your soup often so you do not overcook your cabbage.
- Once the cabbage is tender, turn the heat off and add your Cannellini Beans with juice. Stir and serve.
Tips for Making Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup
- Using a Mr. Misto is a great way to avoid accessive calories and use your favorite oil as a nonstick spray.
- Avocado Oil is a great substitute for Olive Oil and can be heated at a higher temperature.
- I really enjoy Pink Himalayan Salt over traditional table salt. It has a higher mineral content and a better flavor
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!