Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This healthy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe is one of my favorite dinners. It is also low calorie and healthy while still tasting incredibly decadent and creamy. This is because I use corn starch as a thickener and add light sour cream. Your taste buds won’t know the difference.
I’ve also included two preparations so you can make this in your Instant Pot or Stovetop. If you only use a slow cooker, you can follow the Instant Pot directions and just switch the time from 12 minutes to 8 hours.
What Type of Beef Do I Use For the Most Tender Beef Stroganoff?
The key to a great beef stroganoff recipe is having delicious tender beef. For this, we recommend 3 main cuts.
- Top Sirloin (least expensive)
- Filet (priciest)
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients:
This recipe uses top sirloin, crimini mushrooms (or baby Bella), sweet onions, and capers. The sauce is a delicious combination of beef broth, sour cream, Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard, and Sherry Wine. I use a small amount of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
To make this recipe even healthier I recommend using whole wheat penne instead of traditional egg noodles, but you can, of course, use those as well. When shopping for whole wheat pasta or rice, be sure to look for one that has at least 6g of fiber. Many brands claim to be whole wheat but still only have 2g of fiber. it’s important to always check your labels.
How to Make This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
To make this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe you’ll want to begin by turning the Saute mode on the high setting to brown your meat. Add 1/4 tsp olive oil and brown meat for about 2-3 minutes. Then add your onions and continue sauteing for an additional minute. Next add the beef broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and dijon mustard.
Turn of Saute and Turn Pressure Cooker on high for 12 minutes. Once the pressure cooking is finished, open safely via manufacturers’ instructions. To finish you’ll add the capers sour cream, and corn starch slurry.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff on the Stove Top
To make this recipe on the stovetop I first recommend using ribeye which will be more tender. You will first heat a large skillet on medium-high with olive oil and brown the ribeye for 2-3 minutes. Next add the onions, mushrooms and continue sauteing for an additional 2-3 minutes.
In a separate bowl whisk together all “sauce” ingredients including the cornstarch slurry and add to your skillet. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Then add capers.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1.5 lb Top Sirloin Sliced in 1 inch pieces. Use filet or ribeye if making on the stovetop.
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms or baby bella, (one container) sliced
- .5 cup English Peas fresh or frozen
- .5 cup yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbs capers
- .5 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbs Sherry Wine
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt pink himalayan
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbs beef broth
- Turn Instant Pot onto Saute mode (high setting). Add 1/4 tsp olive oil and brown meat (about 2-3 minutes). Add onions and continue sauteing for an additional minute. Add fresh english peas (if frozen, add at the very end)Then add beef broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and dijon mustard.Turn of Saute and Turn Pressure Cooker on high for 12 minutes.Once finished, add the capers, sour cream, and corn starch slurry. Serve over egg noodles or whole wheat pasta and garnish with additional capers and parsley
- Heat large skillet on medium-high with olive oil. Brown meat for 2-3 minutes, then add onions and mushrooms and continue sauteing for an additional 2-3 minutes.In a separate bowl whisk together all "sauce" ingredients including the cornstarch slurry and add to your skillet. Then add english peas (fresh or frozen) and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Then add capers.
Cuts of Meat to Use in Beef StroganoffSirloin, Ribeye, and Filet are the best cuts of meat to use for beef stroganoff. If you are cooking this on the stove top I recomend using more tender cuts of beef. For the Instant Pot you can use Top Sirloin.
How to Make a Healthy Beef StroganoffOur beef stroganoff is healthy because we use cornstarch as a thickener in many of our recipes. I also serve this with whole wheat penne pasta instead of egg noodles which adds 150 calories. While they are about the same amount of calories, the whole wheat pasta is much higher in fiber. Look for a whole wheat past with at least 6g of fiber. Even with added pasta this dish is still under 500 calories!
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe. Remember if you are meal planning you can very easily freeze this and it will still be delicious! It’s one of my favorite meals to make a large batch and stock up on. I get bored very easily so every time I cook, I freeze a portion to eat for lunch on another day.
Enjoy Our Other Instant Pot Recipes
- Moroccan Lemon Chicken for the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Beef Meatballs with Marinara
- Stuffed Grape Leaves Cooked in the Instant Pot
Find Delicious Recipes By Category
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!