The Most Delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe to Keep You Warm and Cozy
We’ve teamed up with Wyke Farms Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar to create a delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe to keep you warm. While the east coast is getting slammed with one storm after another, this is one of my favorite soups to make on a snowed-in day. It’s full of vitamins and a great way to sneak in those extra vegetables with your kids. As you might have guessed, what makes this soup exceptional is the cheese.
You should never use a bland mild cheddar cheese for this soup. A quality flavorful cheddar cheese will make all the difference. As soon as we sampled Wyke Farms Ivy’s Vintage Cheddar, we knew it was destined for creating a Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe full of richness and flavor. We don’t like to brag, but I can tell you my soup is definitely better than Panera!
This cheese is very unique and award-winning for its rich flavor and sharp tang followed by a lasting mellowness. Imported from Wyke Farms in Somerset, England, Ivy’s Vintage Reserve cheddar is made using grandmother Ivy’s 100-year-old family recipe!
The 3 Best Cheeses to Use in Soups & Soup Recipes:
- Sharp Cheddars- these can be white or yellow but a sharp cheese it going to give your soup more flavor
- Parmesan- Parmigiono Reggiano is also a great cheese to add to your soups with its salty and buttery flavors
- Gruyere- this cheese is commonly used in fondues and French Onion Soup. It has a wonderfully rich and butterly flavor and also melts nicely though it can be more stringy.
The perfect Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe for sneaking in those extra vegetables!
In addition, when creating this soup I like to finely grate the broccoli stalks and one carrot to sneak in extra vegetables and add extra texture. Your family members who tend to avoid eating enough vegetables won’t even know they were added. I also never blend my soup and really enjoy having small chunks of broccoli in every bite!
The Most Delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3.5 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 sweet onions chopped
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 cup broccoli stems finely grated
- 2 1/2 cups White Cheddar Cheese grated Wyke Farms Ivys Vintage Reserve
- 1 whole carrot finely grated
- In a large pot saute 1tbl butter and saute onions until they are translucent and then remove from pot and set aside.
- Next melt 2 tbsp butter in pot and slowly whisk in flour on low to medium heat for 4-5 minutes creating a rue. Be sure not to burn the flour and mix until it becomes a rich golden color and flour is completely dissolved.
- Then slowly add in the vegetable broth while whisking a little at a time. Next, continue adding milk and whisk until completely mixed.
- Continue simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Then add all of the vegetables and sauteed onions. Simmer on low heat for another 5-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Last, but not least slowly add in the Ivy's Vintage Reserve Cheddar Cheese until melted.
- You may add salt and pepper to taste, but the cheese is very flavorful so you may not need to add any at all.
Soups are one of our favorite recipes to make, especially in the winter. Find more of our healthy soup recipes here.
Love This Recipe? Pin It!
VIEW MORE RECIPES
Get Your Free Weight Loss Guide
Receive your free guide on my best tips for losing weight without dieting including a summary of what I eat in a day!