Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This gluten free lemon cake recipe is made with fresh blueberries and uses no added sugar. Instead, we make this recipe even healthier by using monk fruit sweetener which is amazing. I’m still astonished at how monk fruit sweetener has no after taste and works so well in baking. To make this gluten free lemon cake we use a combination of almond flour and coconut flour. This is hands down one of the best gluten free lemon cake you’ll ever have.
Our gluten free lemon cake recipe uses a bundt pan and is drizzled with a delicious lemon drizzle icing made out of powdered monk fruit sweetener. You’ll never know the difference and it will keep this recipe low calorie, low carb, and low on the glycemic index. Whenever I can find a way to make a recipe delicious and still healthy, I feel a sense of accomplishment.
Also don’t let the word gluten free scare you into thinking it wont be as good. Gluten Free just uses alternative flour. Coconut Flour is very similar in texture to regular flour and almond flour actually makes this cake even more moist. I would say this gluten free lemon cake with blueberries is actually better than a regular lemon and blueberry cake.
Speaking of blueberries, I think what really makes this lemon cake extra special and sets it apart from other lemon cakes, is the addition of fresh seasonal blueberries. Lemon and blueberries are such a perfect combination for spring and summer desserts. It adds beautiful color and an extra little tasty surprise in each bite.
- What Ingredients Will I Need to Make a Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Blueberries?
- How to Make Gluten Free Lemon Cake
- How Long Should I Bake My Gluten Free Lemon Cake?
- How do I make a Lemon Drizzle Icing Using Monk Fruit Sweetener?
- What are the best Flours to Use in Gluten Free Baking?
- How Long Do Cakes Last and How Should I Store Them?
- What is Monk Fruit Sweetener and Is It Safe To Consume?
- If You Enjoyed This Gluten Free Lemon Cake With Blueberries Be Sure to Check Out Some Of My Other Healthy Recipes
What Ingredients Will I Need to Make a Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Blueberries?
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- several fresh lemons for lemon zest and lemon juice
- monk fruit sweetener (regular and powdered)
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- coconut oil
- fresh blueberries (I do not recommend frozen blueberries as the extra water content can affect your cake)
How to Make Gluten Free Lemon Cake
- First, you want to break your eggs separating the whites from the yolks (when cooking with eggs you always want to leave your eggs out and let them reach room temperature). Then, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites separately until they will stand in soft peaks. You’ll set this aside to use for later. By separating the egg from the yolk and whipping your egg white, it will create a lighter and fluffier cake.
- Next In a medium bowl beat the egg yolks. Then add the monk fruit sweetener, baking powder, vanilla extract, lemon juice and whisk everything again to combine.
- Now you can add the egg whites into the bowl and gently fold to combine. Then add the lemon zest.
- Finally, you can add your dry ingredients which are almond and coconut flour. Then stir again to combine. Once everything is combined you can gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
How Long Should I Bake My Gluten Free Lemon Cake?
Now you’re ready to add the entire gluten free lemon cake mix into a bundt cake pan sprayed lightly with a little olive oil, coconut oil, or butter. You’ll then bake your lemon cake at 320 degrees for 35 minutes time. Times on ovens can always vary so I recommend checking about 5 minutes early by doing a toothpick test.
To do a toothpick test, you just insert a tooth pick at the center and remove it. If it comes out clean, your cake is finished.
How do I make a Lemon Drizzle Icing Using Monk Fruit Sweetener?
Making a lemon drizzle icing with monk fruit sweetener is so simple. All you need to do is combine powdered monk fruit sweetener (instead of powdered sugar) with fresh squeezed lemon juice. I highly recommend using fresh lemon juice as opposed to bottled lemon juice or lemon extract as you will always taste the difference.
You can also substitute regular powdered sugar for the monk fruit powdered sugar. Powdered monk fruit sweetener can also be used for creating sugar-free frosting! You’ll be amazed at how great the icing taste.
Once you’ve poured the icing over your gluten free lemon and blueberry cake, just let it sit so the icing hardens. This usually takes about 5-10 minutes. I recommend pouring the icing on a large plate so the icing has room to drip over the sides. Then you can glide a flat spatula underneath and around the cake and carefully move it over to a different plate.
What are the best Flours to Use in Gluten Free Baking?
Two of the best flours to use in gluten free baking are almond flour and coconut flour which will most closely resemble the texture and consistency of regular all purpose flour. These are also the flours you will see used most often in a gluten free flour blend. Other popular gluten free flours popular for baking gluten free cakes include Cassava, Oat, and Buckwheat Flour.
Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Blueberries (No Sugar Added)
- Bundt Pan
- 2.5 cup almond flour
- .5 cup coconut flour
- 5 whole eggs large
- 3 tsp baking powder
- .5 cup monk fruit sweetener regular
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 tbsp lemon zest zest of 1 lemon
- .5 cup coconut oil
- 1.5 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 3/4 cup powdered Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- Preheat Oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Then break your eggs, seperating the whites from the yolks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat your egg whites until they form soft peaks and set to the side.
- In a seperate medium bowl, beat your egg yolks. Then add your monk fruit sweetener, baking powder, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
- Next, add your egg whites to the bowl and gentle stir to combine. Then add your lemon zest.
- Add in your Almond and Coconut Flour. Stir to combine.
- Finally fold in your blueberries and pour into a bundt cake pan that has been sprayed with coconut oil or wiped down with butter so it does not stick.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean. Once your cake is finished, let it cool before trasnfering to a large cake dish.
- combine your powdered monk fruit sweetener and lemon juice to make a smooth lemon drizzle icing. Pour over your cake and let harden.
- Monk fruit can be easily replaced by regular sugar, in that case double the amount.
- For the glazé regular sugar should be used in the same amounts as monk fruit powdered sugar.
How Long Do Cakes Last and How Should I Store Them?
Any type of cake with typically last 3-4 days, and should be left out on the counter for optimal taste. Storing your cake in the fridge can cause it to dry out. You can actually freeze some of your cake if you wish, and just leave it out the night before to dethaw. You would be surprised that it is still absolutely delicious. In fact, if you decide to freeze your entire cake, I would then add the lemon drizzle before serving. This cake will last about a month in the freezer.
What is Monk Fruit Sweetener and Is It Safe To Consume?
I truly believe that monk fruit sweetener is a game changer. I personally find the majority of sugar substitutes to have a horrible after taste. When I discovered monk fruit sweetener I was absolutely amazed by the taste. Even completely plain, it was pleasant.
Monk Fruit Sweetener is primarily made with erythritol which is a sugar alcohol. They are excellent substitutes for those who are on keto, low carb diets and diabetics. By having low sugar desserts, your glucose levels will not spike which is what often leads to weight gain. Read more about Monk Fruit Extract here.
If You Enjoyed This Gluten Free Lemon Cake With Blueberries Be Sure to Check Out Some Of My Other Healthy Recipes
- Chia Seed Breakfast Aloha Bowl
- Butterscotch Apple Crisp
- Kentucky Bourbon Ice Cream
- Banana Peanut Butter Breakfast Parfait
Find Delicious Recipes By Category
Get Your Free Weight Loss Guide
Receive your free guide on my best tips for losing weight without dieting including a summary of what I eat in a day!