Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
If you’re looking for a keto & gluten free red velvet cake that is moist, fluffy, and delicious then I have the perfect recipe for you. By using a combination of both almond and coconut flour we have achieved a consistency that is just like the classic version. We topped our Red Velvet Cake with a delightful cream cheese frosting and even sprinkled on chopped walnuts for the perfect bite. Additionally, if you are looking to reduce your sugar intake, we include substitutions to make our entire recipe sugar free. With this gluten free red velvet cake recipe, you’ll be able to fool even the pickiest of eaters.
Eating healthy or having diet restrictions does not mean you need to give up your favorite foods or never indulge in decadent desserts. We have a variety of amazing gluten-free dessert recipes like our Gluten Free S’mores Cookies and Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Blueberries.
What gives red velvet cake its red color?
Believe it or not, Red Velvet Cake is actually vanilla cake, with a slight amount of cocoa powder. It is not quite enough cocoa powder to give it that rich chocolatey taste but is more of a super moist vanilla cake with a hint of chocolate. The red coloring from a red velvet cake actually just comes from red food coloring. Many people also use red beet powder as a natural alternative to using food coloring.
How do I get my Red Velvet Cake to be extra moist and fluffy?
The key to a good gluten free red velvet cake is making it moist and fluffy. This can be a challenge with gluten free cakes because gluten free flours are often denser. However, through experimentation, I have found two tricks to solve this problem. First is the use of coconut flour. I love using coconut flour because of how light it is. The second trick is to separate the eggs whites and yolks from a few of the eggs and whip the whites into a meringue. I use these two techniques in so many recipes to add a beautifully airy, moist, and fluffy texture.
Before making your cake it is very important that you take all of your ingredients, such as the eggs and butter, out of the refrigerator. You will want all of your ingredients to be at room temperature before you begin making your cake and frosting.
When you are beating your egg whites, they should form nice peaks. You’ll know your egg whites have formed a meringue if you can turn the bowl upside down without anything sliding out. This would obviously cause a huge mess so try taking a large spoonful of the meringue instead and turning it upside down over the bowl.
How to make cream cheese frosting
Making cream cheese frosting is incredibly easy. All you need to do is add the cream cheese, vanilla extract, powdered sugar or stevia, and butter to a large mixing bowl. Then using an electric mixer, combine the ingredients until smooth and creamy. You can add additional powdered sugar or stevia to adjust the sweetness to your taste. To add the cream cheese frosting to the cake, you can spread it with a knife or use a piping bag.
Instructions for making gluten free red velvet cake
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8’’ x 13’’ baking tray with parchment paper. Then, take four of your eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Place the eggs whites into a medium-size bowl and set aside. Then place the 4 egg yolks and crack the other two eggs into a large bowl.
Add the oil, vanilla extract, and food color to the large bowl with the two eggs and four egg yolks. Whisk them to combine and add either your granulated sugar or granulated monk fruit sweetener, baking powder, and cacao powder. Mix until combined. Then add the almond flour and combine.
The batter will be stiff, and that is alright. Keep the coconut flour for the last and do NOT combine it yet.
Now go back to your medium bowl with the egg whites and use an electric mixer to beat them until they form stiff peaks. When turning the bowl upside down they should not move. This will create a meringue.
Once your meringue is formed, add one-third into the cake mixture and gently combine. As it gets easier to mix, you can add coconut flour. Fold the flour in slowly to keep as much air inside as possible. Then add the remaining meringue by parts, until it is all well combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared tray and extend it evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the cake is set. You can do the toothpick test to know when the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick and it should come out clean when removed. Let cool and then add cream cheese frosting using a piping bag.
This cake can be made in advance and stored on the counter covered for one day or in the fridge for 2 days. The frosting should be stored separately in the fridge. Let the frosting sit on the counter until it is room temperature before spreading to your cake.
Slices of cake can also be stored in a Tupperware container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Keto & Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 X 13 baking tray
- 1 electric hand mixer
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup monk fruit sweetener or regular granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil or sunflower
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- .5 tsp liquid stevia 3 cups powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz butter 1 stick room temperature
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare an 8’’ x 13’’ baking tray with parchment paper.
- First, take 4 of the eggs and seperate the yolks and the egg whites. Place the egg whites into a medium-size bowl and set aside.6 large eggs
- Place the yolks and the two remaining eggs into a large bowl, and add the oil, vanilla extract, and food color and whisk to combine6 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup canola oil, 1.5 tsp red food coloring
- Then add granulated sweetener, baking powder, and cacao powder. Mix until combined. Then add almond flour and combine. Move Batter to the side. The batter will be stiff.1 cup monk fruit sweetener, 3 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 cups almond flour
- Use an electric mixer and beat the egg whites until they form firm peaks and when turning the bowl upside down the egg whites do not move.
- Add one-third of the meringue into the cake mixture and gently combine. As it gets easier to mix, you can add coconut flour. Fold it in slowly to keep as much air inside as possible. Then add the remaining meringue by parts, until is all well combined.6 large eggs, 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Pour the batter into the prepared tray and extend it evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the cake is set. You can do the toothpick test to know when the cake is ready by inserting a clean toothpick, it should come out clean
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, pwdered sugar or stevia, vanilla, and cream cheese. Use an electric mixer to combine. You can adjust the sweetness to taste.8 oz cream cheese, .5 tsp liquid stevia, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 4 oz butter
- Once the cake has cooled, use a piping bag or knife to add the cream cheese frosting.
- Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature.
- You can sprinkle on crushed walnut pieces for added crunch and texture
- for the same look you see in our photos, use a piping bag to add the cream cheese frosting
Enjoy More Gluten Free Recipes
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!