Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This Instant Pot sausage and peppers recipe is versatile, easy to make, and comes out perfect every time. You can even make a large batch and freeze them to use in different dishes throughout the month. By mastering this one simple recipe, you’ll be able to create a plethora of other meals such as my Sausage and Peppers Breakfast Skillet and Sausage and Peppers Pasta with Burrata.
Using the Instant Pot makes this recipe a breeze, however if you do not own an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, I’ve also included instructions for making this in the oven.
What You Will Need For This Recipe
If you’re using an Instant Pot, I highly recommend using the ceramic insert which is only $20 and makes browning your meats easy peasy with no sticking! When using an oven, you’ll just need a sheet or broiler pan. A plus to using a broiler pan is that the fat from the sausage can drip down through the holes/slats in your pan. When using a broiler pan, I line the bottom of the pan.
I also recommend adding a variety of different colored peppers like orange, yellow, and red. If you only have green peppers on hand that will work as well. For onions, I really enjoy using sweet onions, but you can also use regular yellow onions. If you enjoy your food on the spicier side, you can opt for Spicy Italian Sausage instead of the sweet variety. This recipe will work with any type of sausage so here is an article on the different types of sausage so you can choose which you’d like to use.
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Making Instant Pot sausage and peppers is incredibly easy and helps eliminate much of the fat content found in sausage. First, you want to cut your peppers in half and remove the seeds. Then slice your peppers and onions into 1 inch slices. Next, take your sausages and poke 4 small slits with a knife or poke a few holes with a fork on both sides. This step is especially important because it will allow the fat to drain. Also if you do not poke holes in the casing, the sausage will burst out of the sides.
Then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Once finished, slow-release for 10-15 minutes. Remove your sausages from the pot and place them on a cutting board or dish. Pour out the water in your pot and turn your Instant Pot onto the saute mode on “normal”. The flames will come on to show its pre-heating.
Give your pot a light spray of olive oil and saute your sausage on each side until they are a nice golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Once browned, remove your sausage on a plate or cutting board.
Next, add your peppers, onions, and a dash of salt and pepper to the Instant Pot. Saute for about 5 minutes so your peppers and onions have a nice browning on the edges, but are not too soft or mushy. Then remove your peppers and add them with your sausage to the plate.
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in the Oven
To make sausage and peppers in the oven, you will line the bottom of a pan (Or broiler pan) with foil and place your sausage and sliced peppers on the pan. Be sure to stab the sausage 3-4 times with a knife or fork on both sides. Then just pop in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, turning once halfway.
How to Store Sausage and Peppers
As mentioned, sausage and peppers actually freeze incredibly well. I just slice both the sausage and peppers into 1-2 inch slices and place both in a freezer-friendly container and ziplock bag. They will last up to 2 months and you can take them out the day before to defrost. They will also last for a week in the refrigerator.
What Can You Make With Leftover Sausage and Peppers?
Although you might not have anything left once you dig in, when I make sausage and peppers, I always make a large batch to save for leftovers. I have found this sausage and peppers recipe to be incredible for creating numerous other dishes. Here is a list of different meals you can quickly put together.
- Sausage and Peppers Hoagies with marinara
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta with Burrata
- Sausage and Peppers Breakfast Skillet
- Serve over polenta with fresh marinara
- Omelets, Quiche, or Fritattas
- Breakfast Bowl
- Breakfast Burrito
- Pizza or flatbread
As you can see, creating this one simple recipe will allow you to create a handful of easy healthy recipes in only a few minutes. Need a quick breakfast? Whip up some eggs and add your sausage and peppers with a sprinkle of cheese for an omelet or add some breakfast potatoes and do a breakfast bowl. Need a quick dinner for the family, just heat up your sausage and peppers with your favorite jar of sauce and serve over whole wheat pasta with a sprinkle and parmesan. I am often very short on time, so making staple dishes like these Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers, allows me to put together a healthy meal in no time.
Enjoy More Recipes
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- 16 oz Italian sausage sweet or hot
- 5 oz green peppers one large pepper sliced
- 5 oz red pepper one large red pepper sliced
- 3 oz sweet onions sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil sprayed
- First cut your peppers in half and remove the seeds. Slice your peppers and onions into 1 inch slices. Next take your sausages and poke 4 small slits with a knife or poke a few holes with a fork.
- Then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Once finished, slow release for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove your sausages from the pot and place on a cutting board or dish. Pour out the water in your pot and turn your Instant Pot onto the saute mode on "normal". The flames will come on to show its pre-heating.
- Give your pot a light spray of olive oil and add your sausages back into the pot. Saute your sausage on each side for about a minute until they are a nice golden brown.
- Next, add your peppers and onions with a dash of salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes so your peppers and onions have a nice browning on the edges, but are not too soft or mushy. Then remove your peppers and onions to the plate with your sausage.
- Don’t forget to puncture holes in your sausage. By draining the fat you can save 50% of the calories from fat. (this is already taken into account in the nutritional information)
Find Delicious Recipes By Category
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!