Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This Instant Pot Pozole Verde de Pollo (green pozole or posole) is an authentic recipe full of fresh ingredients and vibrant flavors. I make this Mexican chicken pozole soup almost every month because it freezes so well and is perfect for meal planning. To add even more protein, I switch out the traditional hominy for chickpeas. This gives the same taste and texture but adds in an additional 7g of protein, 4.5g of fiber. It also shortens the cooking time since we don’t need to soak or cook the hominy.
I highly recommend using an Instant Pot to make your Pozole Verde de Pollo but you can also use a slow cooker, stovetop, and even a dutch oven. I like to use my Instant Pot because pressure cooking results in extra tender chicken in a fraction of the time. I will include additional cooking instructions so you can make this delicious Pozole Verde de Pollo any way you would like.
- Making Pozole with chickpeas instead of hominy
- Fresh Ingredients and Substitutions
- Can I use Rotisserie Chicken to make Pozole?
- Pozole Toppings
- How to make Instant Pot Pozole Verde de Pollo
- How to Make Pozole Verde de Pollo in the Slow Cooker, Stovetop, or Dutch Oven.
- More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
I love the flavors of authentic ethnic cooking and try to make my recipes approachable for everyone. If you enjoy this recipe, I also highly recommend checking out my Moroccan Lemon Chicken (a family recipe), Chicken Tikka Masala, and Instant Pot recipes.
Making Pozole with chickpeas instead of hominy
Hominy is an ingredient many might not be as familiar with. Hominy is actually corn, but not corn on the cob. Hominy is from maize corn taken off the cob which is then soaked and cooked down until tender when used in Pozole soup.
Hominy has a very bean-like texture and taste when it is used in Pozole which is exactly why using chickpeas is the perfect substitute. By using chickpeas we shorten the cooking time, do not have to worry about soaking the hominy overnight, and most importantly add a ton of extra protein to the dish. As someone who tries to stay in shape and live a healthy lifestyle, getting enough protein is always a challenge. This recipe uses two cans of chickpeas which adds 42g of extra protein to the soup.
Fresh Ingredients and Substitutions
Using fresh ingredients is important when making an authentic pozole soup and there are different adjustments you can also make to adjust to your personal taste.
- First, pozole verde is made with a green salsa verde using tomatillo and poblano peppers. If you enjoy your soup spicy, you can also add a jalapeno pepper.
- Pozole Verde de Pollo (chicken posole) is made using chicken thighs. I recommend not using chicken breast which is too dry. Chicken thighs really add to the flavor of this recipe and also make this soup great for freezing and reheating. The chicken will remain nice and tender.
- Chickpeas or Hominy, the choice is yours.
- Fresh Cilantro, Lime, and Oregano
Can I use Rotisserie Chicken to make Pozole?
If you are really short on time, you can skip the Instant Pot and slow cooker altogether by using rotisserie chicken. I love using chicken thighs in this recipe, but sometimes we just need a really quick meal so I totally get it! If you decide to use shredded rotisserie chicken, simply make your salsa verde puree and then simmer all of the ingredients in a large soup pot over the stove. Once your soup is nice and hot you’re ready to serve.
How you top your pozole is part of the dish. A pozole is not pozole without its toppings. Traditionally Pozole is always served with finely sliced green cabbage, thinly sliced radishes, and a lime wedge. Here are some additional toppings you can include below.
- If you do not have sliced cabbage, you can also use thinly sliced lettuce or white onions
- Avocado is always placed on top of my pozole verde soup
- Cojita Cheese
- fresh cilantro
- tortilla strips or crushed chicharrones
- sour cream
How to make Instant Pot Pozole Verde de Pollo
1. To make Pozole Verde de Pollo, you first want to set your oven on broil. Add the Poblano Peppers, Tomatillo, and garlic cloves to a cast iron pan (or baking dish) with a spray of olive oil and roast until lightly charred. Then puree them in a food processor with the cilantro, 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, and lime juice.
2. Next, turn your Instant Pot onto saute mode, normal. Once preheated, add a spray of oil, and add the onions once the oil is heated. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes and then add the rest of your seasoning and herbs. Stir to combine and add the remaining chicken broth and salsa verde puree.
3. Add in the chicken thighs, stir, and then turn off your Instant Pot and set it onto pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. Once finished, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 5 minutes before releasing the pressure. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, add your garnishes, and serve.
This is a soup I also enjoy serving when I host. The garnishes make a great display to spread across the table and guests can add their own toppings.
How to Make Pozole Verde de Pollo in the Slow Cooker, Stovetop, or Dutch Oven.
To make this chicken pozole soup you will follow step one. Then you will add the chicken thighs to the bottom of your slow cooker and the chopped onions on top. Pour in the salsa verde puree, chicken broth, and seasonings. Set to slow cook for 8 hours.
Follow Steps 1-2 accept you’ll be sauteing your onions in a large soup pot. Then simmer the soup on low heat until the chicken thighs are cooked and tender. This can take 2-3 hours on very low heat.
Follow steps 1-2 accept you will saute your onions in your dutch oven. Then add the remaining ingredients to your dutch oven, place the lid on top, and cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours until the chicken thighs are nice and tender.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
This Instant Pot Pozole will last in the fridge for up to 7 days. It is also freezer friendly and will last in the freezer for 3-4 months. Simply add it to a freezer-safe container and then take it out the night before to enjoy for lunch or dinner. This soup is great for easy meal planning.
Instant Pot Pozole Verde de Pollo (Chicken Pasole)
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs cubed, one pack skinless and boneless
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 lb tomatillo
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 31 oz chickpeas 2 cans
- ½ cup cilantro
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp oregano fresh
- 1 tbsp lime juice fresh
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt sea salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- Turn on your oven broiler. Add the tomatillos, poblano peppers, and garlic to a cast iron pan and spray with olive oil. Broil until slightly charred.4 large poblano peppers, 1 lb tomatillo, 4 cloves garlic
- Add your lightly charred tomatillos, poblanos, and garlic to a food processor with 1/4 cup of chicken stock, cilantro, and lime juice. Puree on high until blended to create a salsa verde and place to the side.4 large poblano peppers, 1 lb tomatillo, 4 cloves garlic, ½ cup cilantro, 32 oz chicken stock
- turn your Instant Pot to saute mode (normal). Once preheated add 1/4 tsp olive oil and saute onions for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and stir.1 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
- Then add chicken stock, pureed salsa verde, and chicken thighs. Stir to combine. Turn off Instant Pot and then set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. Once finished, turn off the Instant Pot, wait 5 minutes and then release the pressure.1.25 lbs chicken thighs, 32 oz chicken stock
- finally, open the Instant Pot lid and add the chickpeas. Stir, serve, and add your garnishes.31 oz chickpeas
- thinly sliced radishes
- finely sliced green cabbage, lettuce, or white onion
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- cojita cheese
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!