Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
An amazing cinnamon swirl and apple cake loaf are light, fluffy, and perfectly moist. This recipe makes the absolute best apple cake loaf with simple and fresh ingredients that are easily found any time of the year. The delicious cinnamon swirl makes for a beautiful presentation and adds an extra surprise to each slice. It’s the perfect combination of moist and sweet on the inside, with a crisp crust on the outside. I love making this homemade bread for my family and friends, especially during the fall and winter seasons!
Last year we designed an edible landscape and planted 18 fruit trees including a beautiful espalier fuji apple tree. I wasn’t expecting any apples in the first year of planting, but to my surprise, our tree is now covered in apples with new blossoms still popping up even in early December. Baking with fresh apples is one of my favorite ingredients and I love the way it imbues the home with the scent of warm apple and cinnamon spices. If you also love baking with apples, you might also want to check out my amazing Butterscotch Apple Crisp recipe!
The Best Apples to Use in This Recipe
There are plenty of apples which you can use to make this apple cake loaf. I enjoy the tartness of Granny Smith apples mixed with the sweetness of Fuji apples. However, there are many options to choose from when it comes to baking with apples. Honeycrisp and Pink Lady are also great choices for baking because these tend to retain their crisp texture and sweet flavor.
- Granny Smith – This tart fruit adds a strong apple flavor to your end product, and it perfectly retains its shape while baking. If you enjoy a dash of sweetness, I recommend pairing Granny Smiths with Honeycrisp apples.
- Honeycrisp – Like the name implies, Honeycrisp apples are crisp with a honey-like sweetness which holds up well after baking. Also, they tend not to brown too quickly after slicing!
- Pink Lady – Pink Lady apples are easy to find since they’re available in supermarkets during almost any time of the year. They have an amazing balance of sour and sweet undertones which will surely complement your apple cake loaf!
- Fuji – Fuji are among the sweetest apples available and are one of the best choices for eating fresh. They are also however great for baking as the retain their shape when cooked.
How to Make Your Cinnamon Swirl and Apple Cake Loaf
To begin, preheat your oven to 350F. Then, grease an 8” loaf mold with butter and set aside. You will need two mixing bowls to stir the apple bread and swirl the ingredients separately.
First, mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Then, set aside. Use a large bowl to mix the eggs with white sugar. After doing so, add melted butter and combine. Add in vanilla extract, baking powder, and baking soda until evenly mixed. Next, add flour and stir to combine. Finally, fold in your chopped apples.
Now, you will add 1/2 of the apple bread batter to the prepared loaf pan. Then, sprinkle 3/4 of the cinnamon and brown sugar swirl mixture over the apple layer. Pour the remaining batter over the loaf, and top it with the rest of the swirled batter over the apple mixture.
Finally, bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the bread is slightly golden on top. To be sure that the loaf is done baking, insert a toothpick and if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s ready to enjoy! Let the cinnamon apple bread cool completely before serving.
Which apples are best for baking?
For the best pies, crisps, and other baked goods, apples should be firm enough so that they retain their texture while cooking or baking. The best choices include Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, and Gala. Your ideal apple should be firm with no bug holes or bruises, and ripe with a strong apple scent.
If you’re looking to make this delicious recipe on the lighter side, we have some additional options for you. But don’t worry! By swapping out a few ingredients, your sweet cinnamon apple bread will still be an unforgettable sweet treat.
- All purpose flour – You can use other types of flour such as whole-wheat flour or gluten free flour while still making this yummy apple bread recipe.
- White sugar – White sugar may also be swapped out for monk fruit sweetener. This is a healthier sugar substitute which preserves the taste of granulated sugar! Monk fruit sweetener is great for those who are on keto or low-carb diets, or diabetics.
To prevent your apple bread from becoming dry, I recommend that you keep it well-covered while on the countertop at room temperature. Or, it can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can even freeze apple bread for up to 1 month! When you’d like to unfreeze it, placing a slice in the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds will do just the trick.
I love making this sweet cinnamon apple bread for my friends and family. The combination of rich cinnamon and sweet apple flavors makes this recipe an instant favorite for everyone! If you’re looking for a fun and flavorful treat for yourself or others to enjoy, this apple bread with a lovely cinnamon swirl is the one for you!
Cinnamon Swirl and Apple Cake Loaf
- mixing bowls
- loaf pan
- 2 large apples peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 0.5 cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
For the swirl
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8'' loaf mold with butter. Set aside.
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar in a seperate bowl and set aside.
- Mix eggs with white sugar in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter to the large bowl and combine.
- Add in vanilla extract, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Add ½ of the apple bread batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle ¾ of the swirls mix over the batter.
- Fill the pan with the remaining batter.
- Top the loaf with the rest of the swirl.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- Insert a toothpick to be sure the loaf is cooked before removing it from the oven. If the toothpick is clean, your apple bread is ready to go! Let it cool completely before serving.
- To prevent your cinnamon apple bread from getting dry, keep it well-covered over the countertop or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can keep this bread frozen for up to 1 month!
- If desired, raisins or nuts are a great addition.
Check out our other amazing baked good recipes
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!